Overcoming Separation & Divorce
Feelings surrounding divorce and separation can feel overwhelming and confusing; anger, sadness, grief, low mood, loneliness, despair, love, abandonment – to name a few! It can feel like an emotional rollercoaster.
This can be made more challenging if children are involved as you endeavour to protect them from the same emotional onslaught.
E-Counselling can help to support you during this difficult and sometimes turbulent time.
E-counselling can help you in the following ways:
- Communicating effectively so you can manage endings better
- Managing tasks when you feel like your world has collapsed
- Expressing the loss and particularly exploring any unhelpful self or other (partner) beliefs that may not help you moving forward (with CBT)
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction to help with the physiological and emotional impact of loss
- CBT helps to recognize and change ruminating thoughts (constant thinking and strategizing about the past or how to ‘get back’ the relationship)
- Changing unhelpful behaviours, e.g. constantly checking emails, mobile, social media etc. or making contact with your ex partner even though it is unhelpful to self
- Building acceptance with Mindfulness acceptance and self-compassion skills
- Managing & overcoming low mood or depression and regaining a sense of self with CBT thought records and activity/task planning
- Mindfulness based stress reduction can support the individual if they are experiencing panic attacks, stomach upset (including IBS), difficulty sleeping. Further details in drop down menu
- The way you think about yourself/others
- What you think about the situation or problem you are experiencing and
- How what you do and feel is influenced by what you think and believe. It includes a solution-focused approach to problems and supports positive change with CBT worksheets
Mindfulness Therapy is beneficial because Mindfulness supports the body and the mind.
- Integrating Mindfulness improves mental and physical health
- It helps to relieve stress and improves clarity of mind
- Mindfulness is supportive in the treatment of depression, low mood, anxiety, couples conflict and stress reduction
- Mindfulness also helps people to manage painful emotions (Harvard Medical School)